[SCREEN ISSUE] Vertical / Horizontal lines on screen / screen fades out

after 2 days. I got black screen, I sent it back to them yesterday

I have a similar issue. In my unit, the screen flickers when the lid is opened/closed/swiveled. After that, the image settles, but I imagine it is only a matter of time before the cable breaks off and the image is completely gone.

As a shot in the dark, I tried disconnecting/reconnecting the video cable from the motherboard, but the situation persists. I think that the problem is on the other end of the connector, and since the screen is glued shut, I am not messing with that.

These screen issues are so obvious that it is almost impossible that they would not be detected during QC. I think that they decided to ship defective units anyway, who knows, maybe the backers wouldn’t complain.

I will try to have the thing shipped back to them at their expense, of have them send me a completely new screen assembly. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

My experience so far with people who have contacted GPD to send back is that they are not willing to cover the costs of the shipping at all and also want to charge you for any parts that they have to replace??? Labour is not charged…

Not great for an advertised 12 months return to base warranty in my personal opinion. I really hope GPD improve this customer service immediately. It’s not acceptable.

So in private messages/e-mails they are saying different things than in the IGG comments that they will return money for shipment through the PayPal? Also didn’t heard about charges for parts dafuq

Ok, I can confirm that in the first email message I got from them they mentioned charging for parts. Honestly I think this is their template that they send to all customers, not only backers from the campaign. After I complained about charging for parts they replied stating that they would replace the parts for free. Now I’ll try to see what can be done about shipping. I think they should cover everything, because at this point besides the contribution I sunk more than USD 200 in taxes and I definitely want to have a working product. I am extremely disappointed with the whole situation.

1 Like

When I queried GPD collectively on behalf of gpdsupport.com users experiencing issues with sticky keys that were not willing or wanting to attempt peanuts documented repair method. I asked what the RMA procedure was and I also asked to supply me directly with the address so that if in my opinion required a return I wanted to be able to help with address/RMA procedure for returns.

I received the following standard email template. (I can confirm two others received the exact same template after I asked them to contact GPD directly to get address to send back to one was @selcukgenc and I can’t remember who the other person was there has been that many different issues)

Here it is:

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 06:51, kendyz@gpd.hk kendyz@gpd.hk wrote:

Thank you.You all can send me to this place.Thank you so much.

Dear Backer

Could you please send it back to us for repair? We will help you to repair it then send back to you.

Maintenance service is for free, we just charge the replacement parts replaced (if happen) and the shipping cost (from china to your country), how do you think about it?

If the battery isn’t allowed by the post office mail, you can remove the battery. You just send the unit self without the box which is lighter than the whole.

Please send it back to us by Post office service and let me know the tracking number.

(We are REFUSE to accept the express package)

Here is the return shipping address:

REDACTED

Please declare the “electronic dictionary” as the product name,and value as 40USD. Please totally do NOT mark it as the repair unit or return unit.

Because it is banned to import the used mechanical and electronic product in China.

Just leave a Note Paper in your shipping box to show your Indiegogo Pledge ID, which accessories were removed before you sent the device, the problem of your device, your shipping address of the second shipment and your contact number and email.

After you send, please, provide the tracking number and the express waybill for us to check, so that we can get it quickly.

Thanks and have a great day.

Kendyz

Best Regards

Kendyz

1 Like

I should also say that I offered to hold small quantity of rolling stock of replacement screens and cables to ship out to EU/UK affected customers. (The reason only EU/UK is I’m in UK and therefore postage is not that expensive to ship and customs I think would be nil inside the EU Free Market) (I would obviously need some kind of postage reimbursement from GPD for this to happen but anyways I don’t think it will happen now.)

GPD agreed this in principle on email but I think from the wording of the email they wanted me to pay for the screens? Obviously I won’t be doing that. I simply was trying to offer a solution which avoided customs and logistical complications with the ban import in China.

They are seriously asking customers to pay for parts during repairs on a laptop that arrived with factory defects, and telling customers to pay for shipping upfront and get reimbursed?!?! That is absolutely unacceptable. They need to be taking care of 100% of all costs involved and providing return shipping labels that can be printed out, not reimbursement! What if some chooses to overnight the laptop back, they really gonna reimburse over $100 worth of one way shipping?

1 Like

@Bluegizmo83 - see above template they are expressly refusing to accept any express courier / freight. My bigger concern is what if Chinese customs seize it as its not an electronic dictionary. Then what happens? GPD will say they haven’t received it. You don’t have it. Whose going to get your laptop back from customs. I doubt GPD would if its banned to import electronic goods to repair and I don’t know about you but my chinese is not very good to speak with their customs and try get it out of quarantine.

1 Like

So again it looks the worst is that You cannot communicate in proper way. Well I’m still amazed how big language problems are. I’m the guy that @petem responded with explanation that device was intended to have Windows 10 Home (just forgot about it after chaos with device problems) and I sat more than 10 minutes to make these two phrases that I posted to make sure they will understand what I ask. Would like to know where the basis of it lays. I have couple of guessings and sometimes when new IGG comments appear only the “darkest” ones come to me and shout that they have been pushed by the pursuit after gold. I’m even concerned to look up old campaigns and analyze how they went.
I’m so happy that my device is properly working and haven’t found anything (please don’t add “yet” word). I have paid in calculation like ~$160 in taxes so I know what You think when I consider it would be damaged - no device and more payments on the way. That’s also the reason that I asked for clear steps how to upgrade BIOS even when I did it a lot of times on the other devices. In which case when failed would push me to send it to them with full charges on my side. It’s really an amazing device and my gf or friends would love to have one too. This shows there is even more potential. GPD shouldn’t affect it in customer services to make it more succesful. Hope that You resolve it in some way that won’t hurt You anymore.

1 Like

@petem oh ok sorry didn’t see the no express freight thing. But yeah you make another excellent point with the customs thing! I’m starting to think it would just be better to cancel my ordered and wait until it’s actually in production with actual US sellers selling it, so returns can be easily handled incase of issues… even though the price will be a little higher, it would probably be the smarter option at this point :frowning:

@Bluegizmo83, I mean its up to you. I’ve never backed a GPD product before but then I’m not a gamer but I’m a noob at linux probably been using linux server 3 years but just doing what I need to do and nothing more and not investing any time to learn, and had ubuntu flavoured desktop maybe 18 months or so. GPD have always had excellent and respected reputation to be honest.
Im logical thinker, I always root cause analysis and expect the worse and have faith it will be better than my expectations. I received the device two days ago and although I haven’t actually really used it much (due to lack of time) I have run PassMark BurninTest Standard, a full overnight memtest86 and they both passed with flying colours. I’m having a CPU intermittent spiking issue in Windows 10 at idle, which seems to drive temp above 70 degrees C, this isn’t good. But I think personally its windows. Ubuntu Mate in the little testing ive done seems to idle 20% cpu usage and 45-46 degrees c.
I wasn’t planning on using windows anyway tbh (although now im going to keep a small partition when I get round to formatting the SSD and installing the Ubuntu Mate custom build for P2 Max.)

Again, we should not lose sight that GPD have always had a excellent reputation and I have every faith that they will not want this product to tarnish their reputation and so I think they will work with us to resolve these issues. It’s a risk though for sure. I will not yet recommend this product until I’ve done more testing. I hope after 1-2 weeks of testing I will be happy to recommend it to others.

2 Likes

I got the exact same message. I am not shipping a USD 900 computer (base price + taxes) with USD 40 insurance. If the parcel gets lost I’ll get 40 dollars back. No way I am doing that.

2 Likes

@Bluegizmo83 @ThaBozz @cnobre @niknok

It appears from this mornings comments on IGG that GPD will reimburse upto 30 USD freight.

I am praying that those affected and having to return their device get a speedy resolution and are happy in the end.

Please let me know either privately messaging or on here if you have any issues with your shipping reinbursements. Thanks.

I wrote to GPD stating that the shipping cost to China by snail mail is around USD 55 (Including real insurance for the actual notebook value) and asked if they could send the replacement parts instead. They told me that the parts are not available right now (might be BS, might be that they need all parts to fullfill the backers’ pledges), but they would send as soon as possible. Let’s see how this plays out.

1 Like

What happens now then will they reimburse you the 55 USD freight?

If they ship the replacement parts I won’t be shipping the notebook back, so the USD 55 is not an issue. Presumably I will get the replacement parts delivered to my address and if they want the bad parts back I will ship them back at their expense.

@ThaBozz - But they just said the parts aren’t available? Am I missing something?

Yes, they aren’t . So I have to wait until they are. Who knows how long this will take. Anyway, in my situation this is not as bad as it seems, because the screen still works, it will just stop working eventually.

1 Like

Hi, this is to update regarding this screen issue.

I was preparing the computer to ship it to China, so I have decided to reinstall the windows image that is on the GPD website instead of cleaning windows from the settings.

I thought to give it a try after reflashing the windows. Now it’s been three weeks with no single incidence! It is really frustrating to just keep waiting for this screen issue to rise again, but it didn’t, so far!

1 Like