Are people happy with 0.23 bios?

I’m just seeing if I’m the only one who is really unhappy with 0.23 bios?

Battery life has tanked considerably for me in both Windows 10 home and Ubuntu MATE and I’m not sure why? GPD say they haven’t changed much just simplified led charging indicator and tweaked the 3 performance options in bios?

For me 0.21 and 0.22 were better?

Anyone else seeing issues?

1 Like

YES!!! There has been a substantial decrease in the battery life in Windows 10 Home with BIOS 0.23. I tried to downgrade the BIOS to 0.22 but it gets into a loop and does not complete successfully.
GPD had messed up the BIOS, I hope they release a fix soon trying to address the battery issue. I also observed that the battery health in indicated wrongly while using “>powercfg /batteryreport” command, where the “Full Charge Capacity” keeps changing every time.

1 Like

They say on IGG no one has reported any issues with Bios 0.23 and it’s fine?

I’m so pissed off (not very Buddhist like, I must try harder lol) Academic term kicks off next week and this as a daily driver is not happening anytime soon.

1 Like

I have documented about the battery consumption report before and after the BIOS version 0.23 on IGG. Lets see what they are going to reply for that.

1 Like

I’ve just seen thanks @aravind
I’m surprised your getting near 5 hours average though. Are you idling ? Lol.

1 Like

I am just using this for casual browsing and checking gpdsupport.com on regular basis :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do not see any change in battery live since 0.23 (I am a Kubuntu user).

PS: with all the GPD bashing I believe it is also important for satisfied users to report their experience.

Phil

2 Likes

Thanks for your input @cattin
We’re pleased your pleased!

Last time I checked my charging indicator was always off.
Also, the fan is not nearly silent. Even when setting the cooling to ‘quiet’ in BIOS, then setting windows power consumption to low by restricting CPU frequency to 400MHz, the CPU temperature hovers around 30 degrees Celsius, but the fan on idle is still considerably louder than the fan on my 13’’ 2015 MBP Retina at full speed!
I’m not sure why they made it possible to switch the fan off in P2 (which I also have), but not in P2 Max. The CPU is the same, the P2 Max is larger and has more options for passive cooling, probably they cool down something else like NVME drive for example. Still, having the device on silent like P2 would have been nice. I planned to use this device on vacations mainly, but with this fan being loud my wife will complain 100%.

1 Like

For fear of not wanting to “bash GPD” I will just add that in my opinion the fan noise was definitely quieter in 0.21 and 0.22 bios for me with advanced power settings in Windows 10 Home, setting Max Processor State to 60% - it was certainly audible but it was much quieter than on version 0.23 in my opinion. I think we have regressed.

EDIT: LINUX - It was louder in Ubuntu Mate 19.04 and 19.10 (alpha) than Windows across all bios versions. But I put this down to the fact that I haven’t managed to work out how to throttle the CPU to Max Processor State 60%.

1 Like

I’m just comparing my P2 and P2 MAX, both with 8100Y. Interesting thing is, if you limit CPU as much as you can (setting it to power saver in Windows, plus setting Maximum CPU State = 10% in power profile). It idles around 400MHz. For P2 (non-max) if you open HWINFO utility, “CPU Package Power” reported around 0.5-0.6W, and for P2 MAX it is around 1.5W. Almost 3 times increase in power usage for the same frequency! I think certain power-saving states are switched off in 0.23 BIOS.

2 Likes

Thanks @MutableLambda this is useful comparrison - Would you be willing to let GPD know.

I also have a P2 with 8100Y and soon P2 Max with the same 8100Y, and I want the quietness of P2!! What is the point to have a more noise computer??

1 Like

@petem I can make a write-up on IndieGoGo, not sure how to reach them directly.

@casainho The MAX is bulkier and noisier, I’m not even sure I like the keyboard more. Hopefully they’ll fix that fan nonsense with another BIOS version, it should turn on the fan at least after 45 degrees IMO.