Blank Screen After System Wakes Up From Sleep/ When lid is opened

Great thanks @aravind

We can always reopen this if it happens again for now I’ll mark it as resolved.

Hi @petem (Pete) I guess we should re-open this issue again. The occurrence of the issue has become frequent with BIOS 0.23.

1 Like

Yes. I never had this issue and was testing my p2 max daily as we did extended test when you asked and it was always stable and never had this problem.

Now after 0.23 if I walk away from the computer either in Linux or in Windows the screen goes off after about 15 mins I come to the device and although the screen is off the device appears to still be running high as fan is screaming.

When I try to wake from sleep by pressing enter in windows as I usually do nothing happens. When usually it takes me to windows enter passcode (I’ve not setup fingerprint) I tried pressing power button briefly nothing happens.

I also long press power button the first time I held for well over 45 seconds I saw a mouse pointer but that didn’t move or respond rest of screen black. It wouldn’t power off. I released and put my finger back on power button and held for nearly a minute and it did go off.

I then managed to boot it back up.

Similar happened in Linux Ubuntu Mate 19.10 where screen went off and nothing at all would bring screen back on and again I had to belly button it to get it back.

I reiterate that I never had this problem on 0.20/0.21 or 0.22 bios.

1 Like

I had installed Linux Ubuntu alongside with original Windows. Everything was not working well until one time after boot the touchpad was not working at all on Ubuntu. Then, I booted to Windows and found that touchpad didn’t worked either. I tried to flash the BIOS v0.23 but it failed as expected since I had v0.24. Tried to flash v0.24 and it went as usual and at the end, I just saw the Windows saying it was booting… then the P2 MAX never worked anymore, with:

• black screen at boot (there is not back light)
  • no GPD logo
  • fan works and starts slow but after a some seconds it goes high and stays there
  • I can’t enter at BIOS or change boot order
  • tried to connect external display with mini HDMI and USB-C but that does not work either
  • tried many time with power connected and unconnected
  • tried with a USB pen flash connected with the boot image of Linux Ubuntu

Many thanks for your help. I can try anything to make this working.

@casainho I have moved your post here, since this issue was already raised and tracked here.

I did my own little research and bumped into the following threads. This seems to be a common issue raised frequently for various other brands and laptops. These threads suggest 2 problems: It could be either a problem with the PSU, or it could be an issue where the system doesn’t boot up properly due to low temperature. If its a problem with the PSU, then its a hardware problem and we cannot do much about that. But its a problem due to low temperature during boot, then I guess it can be fixed in BIOS. And we are also sure that this had been fixed earlier in BIOS v 0.22.

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-General/Black-screen-when-cold-booting/td-p/4165065

I found a little work around to boot the notebook properly. What I am usually doing is that, I plug in the charger for 2 to 3 minutes, to increase the temperature and then use the power key to turn on the notebook and it worked on couple of instances where I try to wake the system from long sleep periods and while performing a cold boot after a long period as well.

Please try this and let me know if this works for you guys. Until GPD acknowledges the problem.

I am pretty sure it is bad BIOS on my case. It did happen when I tried to flash the v0.23 and it did not and I had to abort. Then flashed v0.24 but it could fail for some reason, maybe because I tried v0.23 previously. There are WARNINGS to not turn off the power when BIOS update fails but their .BAT inside BIOS checks for errors and reboot Windows anyway!!! :frowning:

When I boot, I try to blindly enter BIOS and leave, and it should reboot but it does not… I guess that BIOS is not working at all. The fan works but I think is the embedded controller that controls it and not the BIOS.

Try to force shut the system by long pressing the power button, until the fan sound goes off. After that just wait for a minute and press the power button for 3 seconds to turn on the system.

Already did that, including after removing the battery connector on the board.

And I was looking if I could reflash with the AMI BIOS flash USB but I did many tries and never got that.

The BIOS seems to works partially as the USB pen do blinks a few times at boot…

There are no reports on web about recovering the BIOS with USB flash drive for GPD :frowning:

@casainho May I know how you are trying to Enter BIOS?

Del key at boot. FN and Del key. I have a P2 with me working and I think BIOS works the same.

I could see some online threads regarding recovery from failed BIOS update. However it seems like we cannot do this without the help of manufacturer. You may probably send an email to Kendyz and see if they are able to provide with something to help you out.

I already sent the email yesterday, no answer up to now.

For the rest of the users who are facing an issue to start the system after a long sleep or long shutdown period, where the display doesnt turn up. I found a solution which works for me everytime. I have inserted the micro reciever of a wireless mouse in the USB. It seems like somehow because this the system is able to start properly on press of power key for about 4 to 5 seconds until the GPD logo appears on the screen. Can you guys try this and let me know if this works on your Windows/ Linux PCs? I am trying to test this thoroughly before commenting or sending this info to GPD.

I originally thought this was an issue, but it’s actually a Windows 10 feature called Hibernate.
Hibernation saves your workspace and RAM content to disk and reloads it in a few seconds. It takes a bit longer than waking from sleep, but the advantage is that hibernation uses nearly zero battery whereas sleep will trickle your battery down at least a couple percent per hour.

It’s set by default to hibernate after 180 minutes - you will find that if you open the lid, the screen won’t turn on; you will need to hold the power button a couple of seconds to turn the machine back on.

To edit this setting; search for “Edit power plan” -> Change advanced power settings. The one you’re looking for is under Sleep -> Hibernate after

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

@nneeee, sorry for the delay in replying. I think that this is a standard setup across Windows 10 for all laptops. I cross checked with my Lenovo Thinkpad. Having said that I don’t have a problem (with other laptops) waking the system from sleep by opening the lid and then trying to turn on the system by pressing the power key. But with the P2 Max its a different case, I try to open the lid and press the power key for almost 3 to 5 seconds, but the screen does not turn on. However the fan sound is clearly heard and I guess the system itself has booted, but the screen does not turn up.
However there is a workaround for this issue at-least for me. I have inserted a USB micro receiver of a wireless mouse and somehow this seems to have resolved the problem. I keep the USB receiver plugged in and I am not facing this issue anymore. But whichever day I try to remove the USB receiver and the system goes into Hibernation mode, the screen once again does not turn on and I have to force shut the system by pressing the power key for a long duration and then powering up the system, and that’s when the systems screen turn on once again.
This is a weird issue and the issue is there across brands and models of laptops. And even the USB receiver hack was from another site I learn which was the solution for another laptop I think Dell or something like that.
@petem are you still facing this issue with your notebook?

You could avoid the whole issue by disabling hibernation. In an elevated command prompt:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

It gets rid of the huge hiberfil.sys file as well.

1 Like

@Stone-D thanks for the tip :slight_smile:
I will try this one.
However hibernation is a Windows feature to save the extra battery juice, so I wish GPD really fixes this issue.

No problem. In all honesty I must confess that I’ve been monitoring this thread since the beginning and had assumed you already knew this due to your background so I hadn’t mentioned it. The ‘computer not recovering from hibernation’ issue has happened on a number of other laptops and I got that info in one of those forum threads.

This is resolved for me after upgrading BIOS to 0.25