[KEYBOARD ISSUE] Sticking Keys on Keyboard

Can someone do a YouTube video on this? i was able to remove my B key easily enough, but had no luck accessing anything under the key switch.

Someone did it already:
GPD P2 Max - Sticky Key Fix

2 Likes

Thanks @Selcukgenc - really appreciated.

1 Like

Thank you, I saw it mentioned in the Indigogo comments, but was never able to locate it.

2 Likes

That’s a great video thanks for sharing and thanks to whoever made it.

Maybe GPD should consider making and sending to backers those small pieces to put under the keys. I don’t have the tools to measure and fabricate something myself butI would feel comfortable installing it if they send us something.

2 Likes

Moving this to resolved.
The solution is either to carefully carry out the repair yourself to the sticky keys and we would advocate care, patience and use of correct tools like in video.

Or have GPD fix it by shipping back to them after gaining authorisation from kendyz@gpd.hk

The fix I did to my keyboard was a variation of what was in the video. Removing the keycap and lever assembly then looking at it under a microscope suggested a different fix to me.
WITHOUT THE RIGHT TOOLS THIS METHOD IS VERY RISKY
Rather than put more plastic pieces over the sticky tape I removed the tape pieces.
You must use a plastic spudger with a very narrow (point) end to CAREFULLY lift up the edge of the sticky tape. Work it a bit and then take a sharp xacto knife and GENTLY SCORE JUST THE TAPE. Do NOT press hard on the blade. With patience and a steady hand you can make quick work of the tape under each key.

Let me reiterate that if you’re not careful you’ll do some major damage! With patience and the right tools it goes pretty quickly.

1 Like

Thanks @kmahan! I would be shaking doing your method :slight_smile:

You must have good nerves !

I had the sticky keys issue with my X, C, V, B, N & M keys (yes 6!)

I followed the previously mentioned steps, but I found that if you have a bit of plastic - e.g. https://youtu.be/x1Z1_Xi4LD0?t=40 - like the blue triangle thing here, you can basically, slip the plastic down each side of the key gently, towards the space bar.

If you do this the key will pop out of its mechanism on both sides, I was able to pop the keys out in seconds with one tool.

All 6 keys now working fine with the covering the sticky bits with thin plastic method.

2 Likes

Thanks for this tip @retroguy1978 and thanks for joining this space.