[SCREEN ISSUE] half of screen is totally dark

I think it’s behind the screen. Ie I think you would need the screen out of the “bezel” / clamshell casing. I could be totally wrong though as I’ve never seen a disassembly of a p2 max screen.

@joshwiththegoodhair have you seen how to remove p2 max screen by any chance ?

I have no clue :frowning:

Yeah, if you put my picture together with that picture then the screen would definitely need to be removed from the bezel… kendyz recently shipped me “the parts”, so I’m not sure what he’s sending me. Hopefully it’s not just the cable because that would require some comfort removing the screen from the bezel which I don’t have. I guess I could bring it to a cell phone place that replaces screens, but I’m guessing they wouldn’t want the liability since they don’t work on these units normally…

I’ll let you know what he sent me as soon as it arrives - he shipped it last night.

1 Like

Or so it seems…the tracking number provided has no activity on it other than the “created” line. Sigh. Looks like it will be a couple or 3 more weeks before it arrives and I have a feeling he just sent me the cable :frowning:

Very disappointing…they should have anticipated the necessary attention and get him some help.

Finally got this fixed. Replacement LCD was sent, and I had it installed in one of the local shops here.

1 Like

Nice, really pleased you finally got sorted and I hope now you get to enjoy the p2 max! Thanks for coming back to tell us @niknok

I assume your out of pocket on the labour of your local shop?

Sorry I haven’t updated this. I also received a replacement LCD, but didn’t want to chance having a local shop replace it since it’s not a “normal” model like Dell or HP. The cost would have been out of pocket and was about the same as sending it back, so I ended up just sending the whole thing back (for $80 USPS)

It took 3 weeks to get to them, a few days for them to process the RMA and then a few days for DHL to get me the replacement. So, I was part of the original shipment in late August and didn’t have a working unit until late November…pretty disappointed. Especially now that my GPD Micro PC no longer charges and now I have to wait for GPD to figure that out and fix/replace whatever is wrong.

Sadly, I will not be buying any more GPD product or recommending it to anyone until they can deliver a stable unit…which I’m not sure they ever will.

Perfect example of a great idea with poor execution. Hopefully they’ll figure it all out before they go out of business…

I’ve been having this same issue since the 3rd time I powered on the notebook (I was also in the first batch). My emails back and forth have been frustrating, I finally gave up on trying to get anything helpful out of them and just asked for a replacement monitor, which they say they’re sending.

This is my 3rd GPD device, and I’m pretty disappointed in the support process they have. I don’t understand why they can’t (or won’t) hire someone to be their support contact who understands english, when they appear to do a fair bit of business in english-speaking countries. Many of the emails I sent to them they either didn’t understand what I was asking for, or didn’t read the email beyond the first sentence. Several of the responses were telling me to reflash firmware to fix the (hardware!) issue, as if it was the first time I’d emailed them (even though there’s a giant chain of emails).

I’ve done some work on notebooks and cell phones over the years, so I’m hoping it won’t be a super difficult process, but it’s really frustrating to have to deal with this, and the language barrier makes it way worse.

I’ll take some pictures of the replacement process in case anyone is interested in them, though it won’t be an exhaustive teardown (I’d like a working notebook after this), though I have no idea when Ill get the screen or have time to work on it.

1 Like

Yep, paid for it myself, roughly about $16. I would have done it myself, but I was afraid I might melt something with the heat gun. It was not the smoothest experience as a lot of those have mentioned. But I’m just happy it’s working now and fits perfectly for my use case (it’s a secondary laptop for travel).

1 Like