Touchpad Scroll Speed problem

This is a placer for any details which may come back from the Other Linux thread about scroll speed of touchpad. @joshwiththegoodhair and @jasper have been looking into this issue.

More to follow in due course.

Thanks

I’ve done a bit of tinkering. By default, Xorg seems to use the libinput driver by default. libinput doesn’t seem as if there are any scroll speed options available. However, if we switch to the evdev driver, there are some options available, and I can already see improvement.

I’ll continue tweaking these settings and updating this post.

Step 1: Install the evdev driver from package management (ubuntu: xserver-xorg-input-evdev)
Step 2: Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-trackpad.conf with the contents below
Step 3: Reboot or restart Xorg

Section "InputClass"
   Identifier         "HAILUCK CO.,LTD USB KEYBOARD Mouse"
   MatchIsPointer     "1"
   MatchDevicePath    "/dev/input/event*"
   Driver             "evdev"

# controls scroll speed
   Option             "VertScrollDelta"         "1"
   Option             "HorizScrollDelta"        "1"
   Option             "DialDelta"               "1"

# controls pointer speed
   Option             "ConstantDeceleration"    "2.15"
   Option             "AccelerationProfile"     "2"
   Option             "AdaptiveDeceleration"    "1"
 EndSection
2 Likes

Thanks so much @joshwiththegoodhair

This is awesome.

It seems like the best solution so far. Great work! Thank you!

1 Like

I actually ended up using the same solution I used back with the trackpoint on GPDP 1 – using right click + mouse movement to emulate scrolling. This works much better than any sort of scrolling speed adjustment for me. I would just need to press down at the right side of the touchpad, then move another finger over the touchpad.

I still can’t understand why on earth would they make a touchpad and then report it to system as a mouse, not a touch device. If it was a touchpad to the system, things can be much much better. We have much better driver support and gesture detection by software than what they can do on hardware.

2 Likes

Thanks for joining us here @PeterCxy and thank you so much for your efforts in providing the solution to fix touchscreen on Linux and providing the method to flash bios without needing Windows. This is excellent. I was originally thinking I’d need to keep windows just to do the bios and firmware upgrades coming from GPD. This saved me from needing Windows. Although I think I may wipe ssd and have small partition with Windows’s on dual boot just in case. Thanks again.

@PeterCxy - I’ve used the right click to scroll on my other GPD devices, but didn’t even think about it with a touchpad. It works surprisingly well (better than two-finger scroll for sure); thanks for the suggestion!

For anyone else wanting to try this (using the evdev driver), I added the following options to the above mentioned Xorg config. Both the two-finger scrolling adjustments and the right click to scroll can coexist as well.

Option             "EmulateWheel"            "True"
   Option             "EmulateWheelButton"      "3"
   Option             "EmulateWheelInertia"     "8"
1 Like

BTW the right-click-to-scroll emulation can also be used on GNOME Wayland with libinput by a hack: https://github.com/PeterCxy/scroll-emulation

Though I’m not using GNOME for now but in case anyone needs it

2 Likes

I found this solution, and it seems to be the best one so far:

1 Like

Hi @joshwiththegoodhair is this in addition to the PTP upgrade?

What’s the PTP upgrade?

GPD released new Prescision Touchpad firmware. It needs to be installed using windows (unless there is another way to apply it) but I have confirmed that the device is now recognised in Linux after a reboot as a touchpad rather than a HiD compliant mouse and tbh it seems much better.

1 Like

Thanks! I saw that and assumed it was just some sort of precision/certified driver for Windows. I’ll install in a few!

1 Like

Would appreciate your feedback if you could tell us if you also notice an improvement and whether you think libinput_patch is still better as your a more advanced linux user than me. Thanks in advance.

:open_mouth: WOW - that was a treat! The firmware update essentially made the touchpad fully compatible with the xorg Synaptics driver. This is the gold standard for touchpads, and there is soooo much that is configurable now! You definitely don’t need my above fix.

Device 'HAILUCK CO.,LTD USB KEYBOARD Touchpad':
        Device Enabled (167):   1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (169): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
        Device Accel Profile (295):     1
        Device Accel Constant Deceleration (296):       2.500000
        Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (297):       1.000000
        Device Accel Velocity Scaling (298):    12.500000
        Synaptics Edges (299):  40, 984, 40, 710
        Synaptics Finger (300): 25, 30, 0
        Synaptics Tap Time (301):       180
        Synaptics Tap Move (302):       55
        Synaptics Tap Durations (303):  180, 180, 100
        Synaptics ClickPad (304):       1
        Synaptics Middle Button Timeout (305):  0
        Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure (306):    282
        Synaptics Two-Finger Width (307):       7
        Synaptics Scrolling Distance (308):     25, 25
        Synaptics Edge Scrolling (309): 0, 0, 0
        Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling (310):   1, 0
        Synaptics Move Speed (311):     1.000000, 1.750000, 0.157604, 0.000000
        Synaptics Off (312):    0
        Synaptics Locked Drags (313):   0
        Synaptics Locked Drags Timeout (314):   5000
        Synaptics Tap Action (315):     0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
        Synaptics Click Action (316):   1, 3, 2
        Synaptics Circular Scrolling (317):     0
        Synaptics Circular Scrolling Distance (318):    0.100000
        Synaptics Circular Scrolling Trigger (319):     0
        Synaptics Circular Pad (320):   0
        Synaptics Palm Detection (321): 0
        Synaptics Palm Dimensions (322):        10, 200
        Synaptics Coasting Speed (323): 20.000000, 50.000000
        Synaptics Pressure Motion (324):        30, 160
        Synaptics Pressure Motion Factor (325): 1.000000, 1.000000
        Synaptics Grab Event Device (326):      0
        Synaptics Gestures (327):       1
        Synaptics Capabilities (328):   1, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0
        Synaptics Pad Resolution (329): 17, 15
        Synaptics Area (330):   0, 0, 0, 0
        Synaptics Soft Button Areas (331):      512, 0, 615, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
        Synaptics Noise Cancellation (332):     6, 6
        Device Product ID (291):        9610, 32
        Device Node (290):      "/dev/input/event10"
1 Like

Glad you like :smiley:

I recommend the utility gpointing-device-settings to configure options from a GUI and synclient for command-line.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is standard in Ubuntu Mate 19.10
Mine looks very similar to that screenshot by default.

This is also a script I wrote a LONG time ago to tweak the settings on my 13" Dell XPS, but it describes the options (from man) as well as my notes (at the time): https://gist.github.com/joshskidmore/ef6d3c92f8b6ff3d89fefa2326b9b68a

I know I spent a lot of time working to get palm rejection just right, so hopefully that will carry over with the P2Max!

PS: All these settings can be set more permanently using Xorg config, but I preferred this script because I could easily tweak and re-run it.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, now I need to nuke linux and reinstall windows >_<