Windows 7 x64 installs natively on GPD P2 Max

I’m a retro OS user, mostly for video capture and old hardware support.

Just reporting that I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on the GPD P2 Max hardware natively with no virtual box or virtual machine emulation.

The device drivers mostly install on their own, but I had to manually use the on screen keyboard to install the standard HID Keyboard driver… then the keyboard started working. The touchpad worked out of the box.

The screen resolution seems to be fixed at maximum because of the Standard VGA driver, so is at 2500x1600, but the text and font resizer can upscale the user interface to a reasonable level. It just looks like a Mac Retina display of a normal sized user desktop.

I’ve not done any actual poking around to customize the drivers, the WIFi and Bluetooth just seem to work.

I did have to use a GOP enabled boot loader, but otherwise the pre-boot startup screen with the twirling colored balls works and everything else I tried.

In summary it was a near zero effort to install

Hello, this is really interesting. I tried to install windows 7 on my gpd Max 2 and was unable to do it. I tried numerous times for hours before giving up. I had issues with nvme drive support on windows 7 and boot issues due to windows 7 and uefi bios

I’m unsure how the GOP pre bootloader you mentioned works.

Can you let me know what you did exactly to get windows 7 working on the gpd p2 max? Thank you

The author(s) of flashboot (invented) a GOP bootloader shim that included the functions required by the Windows 7 startup routines.

Flashboot includes not only the GOP bootloader but also the option to inject the USB3 and NVMe device drivers to support installation and booting.

Prior to Flashboot it simply wasn’t possible on many platforms.

It does cost money, but the license isn’t that expensive and keeps getting improvements and updates. I bought a copy a long time ago, and they eventually developed this GOP option which was never planned in the beginning… but it totally works.

https://www.prime-expert.com/flashboot/

Its also specific to this tool… no one else developed the binary code to achieve this generic to work on many hardware platforms.

After using the tool to build a bootable USB stick with the GOP, and installer for Win7

I installed Win7 and a few devices were not recognized… so I used Snappy Driver to seek out device drivers from all over the Internet… so I have a complete set now.

From the Users Manual:

Installing Windows 7 on modern UEFI-based computers without CSM support

If Windows 7 Setup halts at boot time when displaying the OS logo, then you need to have Flashboot apply a patch for the Windows 7 UEFI loader.

The Windows 7 built-in drivers (VGA.SYS and VIDEOPRT.SYS) assume that the system VGA BIOS (INT 10H) is universally available, but this is not true for modern computers with pure UEFI firmware (that is it does not include a Compatablity Software Module - CSM).

The Flashboot Patch for UEFI loader provides an emulation of the VGA BIOS (INT 10H) for the UEFI GOP framebuffer, thus enabling the installation of Windows 7 on modern computers without a CSM extension.

Also, after installation (without this patch) Windows 7 will freeze instead of displaying BSoD (blue screen of death) messages on modern computers where VGA BIOS - compatible hardware is not available (Windows 7 can’t switch into classic 640x480x4bpp VGA mode in order to display the BSoD message).

With this patch, Windows 7 is able to display the BSoD message in the UEFI GOP framebuffer.

Slight Update.

Found an Intel UHD 630 Device Driver for Windows 10, that could be re-purposed for Windows 7

So now all Resolutions are Available.

Confusingly the Amber Lake Y was supposed to have the Intel UHD 615 GT2 and there wasn’t supposed to be an available Windows 10 Device Driver that would work under Windows 7…

I totally lucked out stumbling through many driver iterations while watching FTL on DUST on YouTube… never expecting anything to work.

Crucial bit

%iKBLULTGT2% = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_591C

Video Playback is exceptionally clear and smooth.

Here’s a screen cap from the GPD P2 Max after Installing the Intel UHD 630 device driver.

Windows Experience Rating for the GPD P2 Max is 6.8 out of a possible 7.9

I must say playing with Windows 7 on the GPD P2 Max… I forgot how absolutely bare bones and Stripped down Windows 10 has become.

Windows 7 Media Center with the DVR options and all the gadgets and Aero and active wizards were impressive back in the day… but on slow PC’s back then… the GPD P2 Max “easily” runs them at Top speed the desktop is fluid and responsive and simply “flys” through tasks .

awesome. good stuff. thanks for your help with this. honestly i prefer win7 over win10 anyday. with that graphics drive this is huge.

i do recall a problem i had however with the win 7 install. i was having issues because i installed win7 on the same hard drive as the gpd win10 installation. so i was having issues with gpt for win 10 and mbr for win 7 and the uefi on the gdp instead of older bios for win7 should i replace the existing ssd with a new ssd and then do a fresh install of windows 7 using prime experts to avoid the gpt/mbr and uefi/bios issues?

Windows 7 x64 UEFI is best. MBR is very old and doesn’t support large > 2 TB boot devices. You have to use GPT anyway for things over 2 TB. Just let MBR go. When I install Windows 7 these days I go the extra step to make sure the bootable installer from USB is UEFI enabled and not MBR enabled, that simplifies everything. Mixing operating systems on the same bootable device like an SSD is difficult at best and prone to wiping one or the other out when you forget you still have that other partition… I wouldn’t do that. Make it all one operating system or the other. If you do continue to use Windows 10, then use something like a Macrium Reflect whole disk image backup and store it on a bootable USB stick like a Corsair Voyager and let it sit on a shelf. Windows 10 cycles so fast and invents itself out of hardware support so fast… its not something I waste my time on.

Incidentally I notice 16 hours ago GPD started pushing out teasers for the GPD P3 (the GPD P2 Max … technically translates as… the Games Pad Digital - Pocket 2 - Max, as opposed to the smaller GPD P2 which is the GPD Pocket 2)

I doubt it but they could come out with a GPD P3 Max.

The GPD P3 Max however would be based on the Intel “Tiger” Lake CPU-GPU combination… and I really have trouble believing that will (ever) have backwards compatible drivers for Windows 7 … maybe Windows 8.1 … since that is still offically supported until next year… but not Windows 7.

The GPD P2 max… is likely the (Last) Windows 7 compatible UMPC you can purchase brand new here in the year 2021. So… here’s to running Windows 7 ten more years… hello 2031… and Windows XP in Virtual PC mode. Can you imagine running Windows XP over thirty years after its release? I bet it’ll be all the rage in Mars City one… or Elonville.

I’m also not a “big” fan of cracking the case and replacing the SSD. I tend to break things. But if you do be careful. The GPD P2 Max has a 512 GB SSD… and that’s plenty for me… considering I can back it all up through a USB 3.0 port in about 5 minutes… any larger and it would become quite a chore… and I would be less likely to back it up… and that would make it disaster prone.

But if you live off grid… or live on Solar only… which you can with this… say an RV lifestyle… a 2 TB SSD or larger… might make sense.

Just me opining here… by I really Really like the Synology DS220+ that came out last year. Its a dual slot NAS with a powerful CPU, dual Gigabit ports, front and back USB 3.0 ports and a SoDIMM slot. The drive slots handle up to 16 TB drives, the SoDIMM slot will handle up to 16 GB of RAM for a total of 18 GB of RAM. - That’s perfect for storing your files on and accessing them from a GPD P2 Max. The dual slots also mean RAID mirroring is supported and its got the BTRFS file system backing it… all great stuff… its expensive… but its a Poor mans Personal Server… an expensive tool that does everything. This NAS can also push backups to Cloud storage automatically, so you can do offsite backups without too much effort. (And) 3 months ago they just came out with Real time Live Disk Imaging for Linux backups… Synology is really bringing the pain to other NAS vendors.

I have not tried Macrium Reflect Disk Image network backups to the DS220+ “direct” (yet) but I almost expect that to be trivial. Its kind of hokey but the DS220+ can even virtualize and boot your backup images on its CPU… that is it can “verify” and make mini h.264 movies of the bootup and then shut them down… or host a booted backup as a virtual machine, which you can connect to natively or through an https webconsole… so for example… your GPD P2 Max gets lost, stolen, or crushed under a bus… no problem… your as golden as your last backup… boot the entire backup as a virtual machine… or buy another (if you can find one) and restore the backup to another GPD P2 Max as if it were an iPhone or Android device. Its VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) on the “cheap”. And Synology does offer a rendezvous service like Teamviewer for connecting from other parts of the Internet… just crazy.

For the Paranoid “Prepper” seeing Skynet lurking around every corner… you can become Johnny Mnemonic … without the Keanu hair style.

If you live in an Apartment, RV or a Tiny house… the combo is killer.

ok i got windows 7 running. my wireless network adapter was not working. i found an intel wireless adapter .exe and ran it and internet works but very slow. im thinking i got the wrong driver. issue maybe that i have an old version of win 7. updating all the service packs took forever. trying to find a wireless adapter driver now.

im on intel website going to download the intel uhd 630 driver. how do i repurpose it for win 7?

also are your hotkeys on gpd p2 max keyboard working?

Ahh… sorry I’m on central standard time… I was sleeping.

I tried many places to get the Intel HD device driver… but mostly Intel has pulled down, deleted or removed the ones that contain the device driver you need. What is left only have entries for Win10… even if they would work with Win7… so you need an old copy that still had the Win7 references.

I found success using this one:

https://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/event/H310_windowstool/win7_8th_i3_i5_Driver_2.0.rar

The download took a long time on a regular PC… its just a slow website… or the fact it is hosted in Taiwan and I am in Texas in the United States.

I used 7Zip to extract it all into one directory.

Then opened that directory, and opened the “Graphics” directory.

I used Notepad++ to open the [ igdkmd64.inf ] file and found this line:

%iKBLULTGT2% = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5917

I changed it by removing the last character “7” and replacing it with “C”

So that it became this line:

%iKBLULTGT2% = iSKLD_w7, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_591C

This matched the hardware ID of the device found in my device manager for the display adapter after installing Windows 7 x64

I saved the file and backed out of the “Graphics” directory and double tapped the

Setup.exe

to start the normal Intel setup routine.

If gave me no messages about not being compatible with my system.

But it did give me a pop up message saying the device driver was not signed. A great big “Red” warning with two choices, abort or continue. I Chose to continue clicking the choice on the bottom. - I “think” this is because the INF file was modified… there is a “signed” catalog file which acts as a manifest or inventory of each file in the device driver install package and if all the files in the package don’t add up correctly it declares the signature invalid and throws the warning. Getting things signed with Microsoft has always been a confusing, convoluted, expensive proposition… mostly through neglect and ignorance on their part how to sign things… Apple tends to get it right… Microsoft has always done a terrible job… but it is what it is… its best to just laugh at Microsoft and ignore their warnings.

It installed everything without issue and then said I had to reboot to make it effective and did so.

On reboot I noticed the whole display looked a bit darker and translucent. I was watching a SciFi short film called FTL on Dust on Youtube and almost didn’t notice it.

I saw the Intel Systray applet and checked that and it identified the GPU as the Intel HD 630… which was “way off” from what the literature for this CPU-GPU would have you believe it should be… but it works fine.

I will check my wireless, and all the other drivers… it might be best if I perform a Double Driver “backup” for you and publish that… finding compatible device drivers is a time consuming and iterative process… there are the bugs that crop up when the device drivers are first made… so their are different versions of the device drivers that work… and then there are re-purposed device drivers… that you stumble upon that work… that you would never think would work… like this video device driver.

The wireless and bluetooth device driver I use works very fast… I’ve never noticed any sluggishness… but I have seem on Reddit and other places where people did complain… some chalk it up to build quality, different parts sourced in the construction of each GPD P2 Max… or simply luck of the draw when matching up a device driver source to a particular GPD P2 Max. - The truth is usually somewhere in between.

There is no an official source or list of device drivers and where to get them for the GPD P2 Max for Windows 7… so maybe the Double Driver backup can start off as something like that… from a Community perspective.

The two devices I have not pursued up until now are for the “Goodpoint” Touch “screen” and the Finger print reader. I don’t think Touchscreens “existed” during Windows 7 run so not sure if there is a Windows 7 version of the Goodpoint device that will work on Windows 7. Kind of ditto for the Fingerprint scanner built into the start up button… Windows 10 “hello” has a whole infrastructure for dealing with Pen and Ink and Alternative login credentials that just didn’t exist back in Win8 and Win7 days… so it may be more trouble than its worth. - To be clear Touchscreens came along in Windows 8 Tablet era… and this kind of multi-function finger print reader came along in Windows 8.1 or Win10 era. There were “demo” technologies from certain companies in Win7 era… but they were not Microsoft “native” technologies… so their device drivers were highly adapted or specialized versions of the HID class. - I do know from experience, the Touchscreen works out of the box when retro-installing Win8.1 on the GPD P2 Max. I never bothered checking the Fingerprint reader… Finger print readers always misread my fingers or get gunk on them and just have tons of excuses why they don’t work.

I think it would be a bigger “miss” if the GPD P2 Max actually performed a back flip into a Tablet mode… but since its hinge stops at 190 or so degrees and its a proper clamshell… the Touchscreen is mostly a joke for this form factor. To me a Touchpoint on a Retina depth screen is just “Strange”… i prefer the touchpad… which is very responsive.

It might be a good idea to check my touchpad settings too… since I do that… I calibrate it to the screen when I get one… some people don’t do that and end up hating small touchpads never realizing the settings make all the difference in the world. Its like getting ina car or truck and never adjusting the mirrors… your experience will be bad… until you adjust the mirrors.

The device driver for Wireless I am using:

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
11/11/2018

One thing about device drivers is some are specially optimized for particular issues of hardware, so in some (many?) cases an older or different device driver will perform much better than a newer “generic” that is not effectively “tuned” for a particular issue or release of hardware. - This is from my personal experience… the world doesn’t work the way most people say it does, or should… people write the text adn language in device driver info windows… and its not all “true”… intuition… doesn’t help much… just wrote experience.

Here is Double driver (2 MB)

Here is a Backup of the non-Microsoft device drivers I am using (256 MB)

Please download them as soon as you can I can’t keep them up for a long time.

The drivers are stored in a compressed Zip file in class and driver folders… they can be reinstalled by manually pointing at those folders… or by extracting… or starting Double Driver and choosing the Zip file with the device drivers to restore.

You can pick and choose to restore one device driver… or all device drivers… or a select group of them… DD is pretty cool.

Control Panel - Mouse Properties

Buttons

• Double-click speed set to “far Right” Fast
  • ClickLock - Turn on ClickLock “checked”

Pointer Options

• Select pointer speed “4th tic from Right - Fast”
  • Enhance pointer precision “checked”
  • Snap To “unchecked”

Hotkeys

The function key is [ Fn ] its a dim blue, and has to be used in combination with a lot of the top deck Fn keys, but also the Hotkeys decorating all over the keyboard.

It can be extremely easy to “forget” to hit and hold the Fn key while hitting a Hotkey.

But otherwise Hotkeys have always worked for me.

• A Test for this… is
  1. tap click on the touchpad (right click) on the systray Speaker icon to open the Volume meter bar
  2. press and Hold Fn + Speaker +/- icon on the keyboard and watch it go up and down
  3. be “Careful” of the touchpad when Holding Fn + Hotkey, the touchpad has (No) palmrest rejection… just angle your palm upwards to avoid it… if you do not… the palm will be recognized as a Hotkey de-select and … for example… the Volume meter bar will close.
  • Caution! I do see some problem with the Hotkeys for Brightness. Open the Control Panel and use the Windows Mobility Center to set the Brightness… just slider the slider control back and forth… or use the Intel systray app to tweak the Brightness and Hue.

In the Intel HD Graphics Contol Panel (systray) - choose Display - Color Settings

1. Brightness
  2. Contrast
  3. Hue
  4. Saturation

The default is for [ All Colors ] but you can tweak individual Red, Green, Blue channels… so if the LCD panel is old or has a ‘cast’ of Blue or Green… you can tweak it out.

The hotkeys work… if you hold the Fn key and try to use the Hotkeys.

Another thing is the Multiple display support… the GPD P2 Max has a second “mini-hdmi” port… for a second screen to mirror or extended the current display. The Intel systray applet lets you master those.

One thing that is a “little” weird is waking up from sleep… the mouse on the Login page is non-Functional… but if you just hit [ Enter ] key… it logs you in and the mouse “is” functional.

Its like the mouse is turned off by sleep, but wakes up as soon as your back on the desktop… I am certain that’s a power saving feature… but its a little weird and can infuriate some people.

Optimal Display Resolution

The default or Maximum pixel resolution of the GPD P2 Max is
2560 x 1600

This makes reading the display really difficult

A more optimal display resolution is
1280 x 800

which is a big difference… the display is much more comfortable.

this is huge, i love it. the intel display driver made such a huge difference. before i installed the display driver you sent me the laptop would run sluggish and kind of pause when moving around with the mouse. now this thing seems to be VERY MUCH USABLE. there are still some PCI and unknown devices in device manager but maybe your driver package will fix?

i went ahead and downloaded all the drivers you sent me and the double driver software. THANK YOU MUCH FOR THIS!!!

the hotkeys do work except for the brightness but i can live with just manually adjusting it via the intel aplet. before the intel driver install the screen brightness was not adjustable i dont think. it was always on highest brightness. i adjusted the display to the resolution you recommended and it is very usable. im going to keep on tweaking the resolution to see if i can get it even more comfortable.

the laptop has gone down to upper 30s in cpu temperature with windows 7. it seems to run a few degress cooler with windows 7.

IM REALLY LIKING THIS WINDOWS 7 ON THE GPD P2 MAX.

im going to see what i can find on the goodpoint touch screen driver. i would love to have touchscreen on this thing.

it seems like the wireless driver you have is the same one i had. it seems to run better today. i think last night i was too far away from my router. it seems to work better now at a different spot in my home.

i also did upgrade the ssd on my gpd to 1tb. its very easy to do. you pop the backplate off the machine to get access to the inside. you remove 3 screws from a bracket that has the wireless antenna wire attached to it. then you remove 2 screws on the battery connector and you have access to the nvme 2280 ssd. you remove one screw holding it down , remove it and pop the new ssd in. its easy i can do it in like 5 min now.

my keyboard went out on this thing a couple months ago. most keys would work but some didnt. gpd support responds but sometimes takes days. they were going to do the keyboard replacement if i shipped the unit off to china and pay $75 for the keyboard, labor and shipping back. i was going to do it . before i sent it back i decided to go to ubreakifix store and they did the replacement for me for $50 and they had it for me ready the next day!

you have been such a help. I LOVE IT! i tried putting win 7 on this thing before a few months back and had given up.

glad it worked out

thanks for the info on ubreakifix store, seems a nationwide chain store I was totally unaware.

i really think the GPD P2 Max, was always the Ultra Mobile PC people were looking for for literally years… brought to life

but the whole Windows 10 debacle has taken the hope out of people… its a bad operating system… bar none… but what are they going to do?

now they put the fear of hackers and scareware in everyone and yank security and hardware support from a decent operating system like Windows 7

its not like the same technologies didn’t exist in Win8 and WIn10… they haven’t innovated since 2011… its the same thing… they have been shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic… all the innovation has been going on in the cloud… in the browsers

but its just one persons opinion

Win8 and Win10 seem to be always jumping in your way with Ads… and every other Tuesday they are taking another piece of the operating system off the table… its crumbling before your eyes.

Win11 looks like a poor copy of macOS… its like a bad re-make of a horror movie.

But back to the GPD P2 Max … its a premium hand top for sure… way beyond the old idea of a netbook or a tablet… its actually quite usable

I might twiddle with a Goodpoint driver set now and again to try and get a driver that works… puzzles are entertaining… maybe even the fingerprint reader just to get rid of the device driver safety cones… but I don’t think I will ever seriously use a Touchscreen on such a small screen… maybe a stylus… but it would be awkward.

And I don’t trust fingerprint readers… they just end up locking me out of systems… a good old 2Factor with my phone is more likely to be useful.

I would recommend… you get a good Image backup tool like Macrium Reflect… or something to make whole machine backups. One wrong device driver install could totally Blue Screen it… and then you either have to reinstall or trust the Microsoft System Recovery system… which isn’t very good… rolling back driver installs was never its strong point.

Windows 7 also knows about the SSD TRIM command… so it will take good care of the SSD… its not like the old days when introducing a new drive type to Windows XP and we had to worry about burning out an SSD.

Ok I don’t even pretend to know how I did it.

But I found the installed but Unknown to be a part of the
hailuck co. ltd usb keyboard

So I installed an HID-compatible device driver and that went away.

The yellow unknown was the HID Event Filter, which everytime I installed that driver caused a BSoD… but when I tried to remove it it deleted the driver, crashed but rebooted and says the device is installed… even though it is not… so that went away.

HID Event Filter seems to be a manufacturer custom device driver designed to intercept things on the USB or HID bus and performs certain functions… like extended Hotkeys for devices… like a Fingerprint scanner, or a Touchscreen … but there is none for the GPD.

Under Windows 10 there are enhanced out of the box event filter drivers for handling messages from the Fingerprint scanner and Touchscreen, but not for Windows 7

It looks like Goodix and FocalTech “made” add-on demos for some manufacturers hardware on Windows 7 back in the day… but I haven’t been able to get them to work.

Not giving up “totally” but it may have something to do with the custom USB 3.0 bus driver injected at install time… i just don’t know

In any event for now… its not displaying any missing device drivers.

I am curious however if the USB 3.0 device driver should be upgraded… but not certain how without triggering a lot of BSoD… time enough for another day.

Curious about a Windows 8 HID event filter driver for the touch screen.

Previously I verified the Windows 8.1 install did support the touch screen. Its based on some kernel driver framework… which “seems” to work under Windows 7.

It might be that stealing the touch screen from goodix out of a Windows 8 install (might) work under Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 is a lot closer to Windows 7 and they overlapped in driver design space for a long time… things introduced in Windows 8 were still being back ported or made compatible for Windows 7. The driver signing might even overlap… no way the installer inf will overlap… but that can be overridden back in Win7 days just for install… after that the driver will probably start because it was signed during the days Windows 7 still recognized contemporary drivers.

Anyway… its a strategy… a theory… i’m just bored.

yes the gpd is a pretty awesome laptop because of the 16gb ram, the nvme 2280 ssd. i just wish it would have a better graphics even though i dont use it to game but may if it did have the better graphics card.

i downloaded the fan control program that i found a thread on here. i know it worked on windows 10. it lets you control the fan speed and even shut it off completely although im afraid that may cause damage to components other than the cpu if the machine gets too hot. im going to try it again on windows 7. im on bios .21 so i am unable to control the fan speed in bios although other users say that even with upgraded bios that the fan control via bios is not that effective. the fan still runs constantly,

i actually purchased a one mix net 4. its pretty nice and just a bit bigger than the p2 max. the onemix 4 has the better integrated iris graphics. i liked it but it went out on me after 2 months. wont boot, wont charge, wont do anything. it has no power whatsoever. i dont know what happened to it. in the process of sending it back to reseller for refund. (i may buy it again from another reseller . onenetbook support is very slow in responding to support emails although they do respond eventually sometimes a week later. once i get my refund i will order from a different reseller to try the onemix 4 again.

i also tried to a driver site and downloaded the hid filter driver and my computer crashed and was unusable. booted to safe mode and rolled back to a previous restore point and got the maching back up and running it seems fine (although it was very scary).

the touchscreen on win7 would make thhe p2 max freaking awesome.

I “may” have discovered why the Goodix touch screen driver isn’t working under Windows 7.

This is all new information to me… so I could be wrong.

The device drivers under Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 that work and make the touch screen work, all refer to ACPI\GDIX1002

That means the touchscreen is an FO or PDO described by the BIOS ACPI table which is handed off to the operating system after boot.

The Plug n Play system of windows then “sees” this object in the device tree and searches for a WDM driver with a “name” that says ACPI\GDIX1002 and loads it, and that provides the service to the pen and touch subsystem built into windows.

Currently… Windows 7 is not enumerating or creating an FO or PDO for the touch screen device. It is for “other things” like the Intel HID Event filter… but that is not the touch screen.

From other posts in this forum, it seems the earlier BIOS for the GPD P2 Max had some problems with the ACPI DSDT description tables for devices attached to the motherboard… they were gradually improved.

The specification for the ACPI DSDT tables is very poor… or not well defined or explained… when Microsoft wrote their ACPI intepreter… they kept accommodating, worse and worse DSDT tables found in the wild… so the Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 interpreters could handle worse and worse DSDT tables and make things work. (well… maybe not worse… but more dialects… or personal “interpretations” of what the ACPI DSDT specification meant…)

Meanwhile it looks like GPD was improving their DSDT… until they stopped releasing firmware updates for the BIOS.

Currently I am running GPD P2 Max BIOS 0.28

There is another newer version called BIOS 0.29 which I have not applied.

In theory one of the fixes in the newer BIOS could be a better ACPI DSDT which describes the touch screen “better” so that Windows 7 would enumerate it… and subsequently load the device driver for it.

Under Linux they can “patch” the DSDT and make things work… even if they don’t have the source code… we can’t really do that in Windows because everything is signed and locked down to prevent the infiltration of malware by an unsigned driver.

Its a long shot… but it seems a possibility… I just don’t have the time to try at the moment… I have to get some sleep and go to work in the morning.

A Second way to load the Goodix device driver… as a service… might be to make it look like a null device driver… or a modem… just to get the “service” that is the code for the goodixtouchscreen.sys running. Some people have alluded to the ACPID DSDT table in earlier BIOS versions as being “meaningless” and of no real worth when running the device driver… that is a reference to the DSDT tables can not only describe a device, but also provide code for interacting with them… some device drivers then built up a “whole” device driver by using bits of code passed to the operating system from the BIOS after boot… but that doesn’t appear to be the case here… it seems Goodix included everything to run the touch screen in the runtime WDM functional device driver… or so the gossip says.

If so… then the problem with manually loading the device driver attached to a “fake” or “wrong” device… just to get the code loaded is it will deliver a “Code 10” device driver stop if it doesn’t get an expected acknowledgement after start up.

With a null or modem driver… loaded with the “wrong device driver” there isn’t such an expectation… it happily says “loaded” and starts the device driver service.

That’s pretty hackneyed … but it might be a way of getting Windows 7 to work with the touch screen… even if the ACPI DSDT can’t be fixed.

I “think” a wicked INF file could trick the system into installing and starting the “signed” goodixtouchscreen.sys device driver… it should produce a Red warning box about the INF file not being signed… but that could be overriden just for install… after its in place… the device driver itself… should be signed and owrk as design… in theory.

Well none of the previous worked.

I also tried extracting and modifying the ACPI DSDT and reapplying it to the Windows 7 instance with a registry overload

Still nothing appears in the device driver manager for the GDIX1002 device… which is very odd… I think is should at least enumerate “some” unknown device even if it can’t find a device driver to load for it.

I don’t understand the grammar or format of the DSDT ACPI table… it may be in some format that Windows 7 simply can’t understand or use.

I wish I could find an example for creating “any” ACPI device… even just a simple example… so that I could mock-up a fake GDIX1002 and load it with the ACPI overload table to verify that is working.